Brooklyn Navy Yard Visitors Center: Bldg 92
Brooklyn, NY | 2011 | 32,000 SF
Built in 1858, BLDG 92 was originally the Marine Commandant's residence at the historic Brooklyn Navy Yard. Following extensive structural stabilization, exterior restoration, and interior rehabilitation, the historic building has been transformed into a public education center. Because the windows were blocked off by exhibits, Tillett Lighting designed custom light boxes that transform the building into a warm presence along the heavily-trafficked street. The new atrium, connecting the historic building to a contemporary addition, is treated as a glowing lantern. Architecturally integrated and concealed fixtures illuminate the photographs and sculptural elements that span the atrium’s three-story facade as well. The project has LEED Platinum certification.